upcoming review: BAE RBAV-AF

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Zero Tolerance 0400ST

I've owned this 0400ST for about two years now and honestly if I had to chose one knife to carry for the rest of my life, this would definitely be up there. If I had to chose one folder to carry through the Zombie Apocalypse, again, this would definitely be in the running. The 0400 is simply a damned solid knife.


The basics:

- Blade length: 3.875"
- OAL (Open): 8.5"
- OAL (Closed): 5"
- Locking system: Liner
- Blade material: S30-V SS
- Blade coating: Tungsten DLC
- Handle material: "Aircraft-grade aluminum" (probably anodized 6061) with "Trac-Tec" rubberized inserts
- Liner material: "Titanium"
- Weight: 5.1 oz. (a relatively heavy sucker)

It features the ZT Speed Safe assisted-opening system. I have had no issues with this system ever malfunctioning in any way, despite an extended period of testing and less than ideal operating conditions. I've had SOG assisted openers turn to manual openers on me. This knife and its assisted-opening system show no signs of ever giving out in any way.


The pocket clip is held in place by two small star screws (the same size as the screws that hold the two aluminum plates that constitute the handles together) and it is reversible for tip up or down carry, but it can only be affixed to one side of the handle. The other side of the handle features the rubbery Trac-Tec grip inserts. Like everything else on the knife, they're solid as hell and have not budged since the day I opened it. The handles do feature a lanyard hole which easily fits paracord.


The modified tanto blade features an ambidextrous fixed thumb stud and an "index finger protrusion" should you choose to open it with your index finger instead of your thumb. I find this method preferable. The ST model's blade features some interesting "curtain" serrations. I find them impossible to sharpen, but I have had no need to do so. The also cut far easier than traditional serrations, just much smoother. They do not get caught on cordage or anything really. Love em. The blade geometry is interesting. I'm no engineer, so I can't say it's any stronger than a simple flat ground, but it's at least interesting to me. Here's a decent shot of one that showcases the blade geometry:


I went with the 0400 as opposed to an 0300 as most people would have simply because I wanted a metal-handled knife. As can be seen in the top image of this post, I've had to use this knife as a hammer a couple of times. I understand that this is by no means good for the knife as a whole or the soft aluminum handles, but I'm not really concerned with what's good for it. I am simply satisfied that, like 6Ps do and G2s don't, it works as a hammer when needed. I am sure that 0300s would work rather well in this respect as well, however I have no interest in splitting a polymer grip panel and ruining an otherwise usable knife. The handles are also very well deburred. Unlike some knives I've experimented with carrying, this knife's handles feature no sharp edges, corners, etc., to screw with your hands when you just want to reach in your pocket for a phone or whatever.


Pocketed:


I've found this steel to be particularly susceptible to cosmetic rust if left wet in an enclosed, humid area. A simple once-over with a bore brush would take care of the amount that I'm talking about, and if available some solvent would certainly help clean things up. This is perhaps the only negative thing I have to say about this knife. Of course, only the exposed steel will rust. I have noticed VERY few and very small wear spots on the blade coating, for the most part it has remained like-new. The anodization on the handles has taken a beating and shows many nicks and scratches. As can also be seen in the original photo, the tips of the handles have been mirror polished by about two years of tip-down carry in a pocket with a leatherman, keys, etc.


I've used the tip for prying more times than I can remember. The spine is nice and beefy near the tip and I've had no issues with chipping.

The blade's hinge is an adjustable larger star screw and nut. I left it alone. Straight from the factory mine opened plenty fast.


Like most liner lockers, you can jam enough crap between the liner and the handle to jam the blade open, but it's a simple matter of pulling out a backup knife to remove the obstruction in order to right things.


I've seen advertisements for it claiming that it has a "razor sharp edge." I've owned many knives and this is by no means sharp. Several Gerbers I've had have been significantly sharper. This is, of course, not altogether a bad thing. You may not be able to shave with it, but it will forever retain what little edge it does have.

Lockup is absolutely rock solid. I am not able to detect any movement of the blade in any direction when locked open.

Closed:


If you have any questions or comments regarding this or other equipment, feel free to ask away. I'll respond to the best of my ability. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment